What Do I Know About Rest?

By Katie Helmreich

Back in the midst of distance learning and acclimating to the idea that everything could be suddenly shut down, I spent every spare minute to work out my plan for my illustrations in the Ponder Anew Hymn Journal. I chose to illustrate “Come Unto Me, Ye Weary” early on. But I hit a wall when I tried to sketch it.

What the heck do I know about rest?!?!? 

Trying to sketch rest was good for me. I mean, in the way exercise is good for you. It’s a horrible experience until it suddenly isn’t.  

Of course I don’t know anything about rest. I’m not the one giving rest. Jesus is. And He promised rest, so He’s giving it. I might not be recognizing it, but He keeps His promises, so it’s happening.

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take me yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you WILL find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11: 28-29

There’s gotta be rest in there somewhere.

Even as I follow my youngest around the yard. (She can be incredibly fast on a tricycle, especially when your back is turned for a minute.)

Somehow there’s even as I pull her down from the top shelves on the bookcase. (“I just wanted to touch the ceiling.”) 

There’s rest in knowing this life Jesus called me to has lasting meaning because HE is working in it. There’s rest in knowing I am loved no matter what, not just when I’ve somehow “measured up.” There’s rest in all the creation showing me His perfect knowledge and control over the complexity of the seasons and all these plants and animals. There’s rest knowing that my family is secure in His loving hands.

“For He satisfied the longing soul, and the hungry soul He fills with good things… Let them thank the LORD for His steadfast love!” Psalm 107: 9, 15

Do I sit down much? No. But I do know His rest and peace.

My sketch settled into place before long. And in a lot of ways, remembering the process of drawing in the midst of the craziness has added depth to its meaning for me. 

“Come unto Me, ye weary, and I will give you rest.” Oh blessed voice of Jesus, which comes to hearts oppressed!

Here’s how the sketch turned out in my Bible. I added it to Psalm 107. You can add your own color and words to the version on page 85 of Ponder Anew.

1 Comment

1. Yes and Amen!!!! I love both how you added it to your Bible and thank you for sharing it with us in the Ponder Anew Hymn Journal!

Leave a Reply