Scripture Doodle Video Tutorial

By Valerie Matyas

You may have heard of Bible Journaling, Devotional Journaling or Scripture Doodles. You may have seen art in the margin of Bibles, gracing the squares of desktop calendars, or adorning index cards. No matter what it is called or where it is found, creative Scripture meditation typically follows the five steps of Read, Reflect, Respond, so that you can Remember and Reach Out.

On page 107 of  Ponder Anew: A Hymn Journal for Trust and Confidence you will find a series of Scripture passages that make a great jumping off point for some quick Scripture doodles. The wide side margin is an inviting canvas. My daughter Olivia joins me for a Video Tutorial explaining how to creatively reflect and respond to Scripture.

A “bad” picture is better than no picture when it comes to remembering and recalling. You don’t have to consider yourself an artist to give Scripture doodles a try. Just sketch a small image. It’s not Pictionary: no one has to guess what you drew. But the practice of drawing will allow your mind and heart to linger longer in the Word. It will help your brain make connections with the text to the world around you. 

I would love to see your Scripture Doodles from any of the 12 chapters. Go back through your Hymn Journal, see what sparks an image. Or take a stab at sketching/doodling the verses from the hymns. I think you will be surprised at the power of a tiny doodle when it comes to engaging, meditating, pondering, and digesting scripture. 

But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night. Psalm 1:2

Scripture doodling is both a practice and a product. Enjoy your time in the Word. And if you are feeling brave, reach out and post your sketch in the Ponder Anew Pop Up Group or share your sketch with a friend or family member.

Blessings on your week!

Valerie Matyas
Lead Illustrator, Ponder Anew

Made possible in part by the support of Next Step Patrons. Patrons make it possible.
Become a Next Step Patron today!
https://www.patreon.com/findmynextstep

My Scripture Doodles on page 107 of Ponder Anew.

Leave a Reply